bull thistle vs milk thistle

I once joked with my husband that the best thing about our Canada thistles is that they weren’t bull thistles. The ancient philosophers Pliny and Galen both praised the herb for liver cleansing. As mentioned earlier, they thrive in disturbed soils.) Given the opportunity, a bull thistle can grow to 5 feet tall, and send out multiple flower stalks. Bull thistle is also commonly found along trails, roads and vacant fields. Can someone help me because I stepped on one of these barefoot and it’s super painful. I grow it as a companion to vegetables as an attractant to beneficial insects and butterflies. Lobes on leaves are tipped with stout spines. Milk thistle tea may interfere with the effectiveness of several medications, including the antibiotic metronidazole, the hepatitis C drug simeprevir, and the immunosuppressant sirolimus. Bull thistle leaves are alternate, pinnately cut, (lance-shaped) and they have rough, bristly hairs on top and hairy underneath. No true thistles are known to be toxic, and they are fairly easy to identify. Pin It. Part of our yard was overgrown with them, I was cutting them down with a weed eater. Milk thistle is generally considered safe when taken by mouth (1, 45). What’s the difference between blessed thistle vs milk thistle supplements? When the very first flowers appear cut down the thistle as close to the ground as possible and cut off the leaves, discarding them. So interesting, I have learned a lot related to my course of pharmacy. Seen it? The seeds contain silymarin, a group of compounds said to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Thistles of Nebraska Flodman Thistle Cirsium flodmanii (Rydb. Italian thistle (Carduus pycnocephalus) is probably the most common. The central stem is solid and prickly. Kathleen, I’d like to know about those friendly thistles also. Although it is intimidating in appearance and can sometimes form large infestations, this thistle is not as challenging to control as many others and is mainly a problem in hay fields and pastures. Milk thistle is commonly used as a home remedy to treat liver problems, often under the presumption that it will "detoxify" the liver. I disagree with John. Peel the outer, stringy layer off the stem which is easy to do. On the foot, that might not be practical because every step you take can drive it in deeper. Can the leaf of a milk thistle grow when left after removing the plant from my lawn? I just received this question: "Can the leaf of a milk thistle grow when left after removing the plant from my lawn? Many insects feed on the leaves, stems, flowers and seeds, while some songbirds also feed on thistle seeds. Just about all parts of the plant have been used as food with no reports of toxicity. Foodie Pro & The Genesis Framework. This thistle plant I’m testing is a bull thistle, and the spines are huge and rigid. I'd like to grow some. Its stems have spiny wings and its flowers are small and cylindrical. Blessed milk thistle (Silybum marianum) Blessed milk thistle is not a true thistle (if you consider thistles to be only those plants in the genus Cirsium). Bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare) has lobed leaves with sword-shaped sections, and scary spines at the tips. It is also naturalised in North America, Africa, and Australia and is an invasive weed in some areas. plants of the genus Cirsium. On any lacerative wound, bite or rash I'd use plantain (chewed and applied asap), then pack with bentonite until healed. Milk thistle is also known as Silybum mirianum 2.. Like dandelion, milk thistle is considered a weed but is a medicinal herb that can also benefit your liver 2.According to Armando Gonzalez Stuart, Ph.D., Europeans have used milk thistle seeds medicinally for centuries 2.. If not kept under control, thistle will quickly take over a landscape. I am real careful now when I have to cut those things down. It's not easy to hoe like the milk thistle and spreads everywhere. My neighbor is growing thistles that don't have spine's can you eat them as well. Leaves: Upper surfaces of leaves are green, and the lower surfaces For over 2,000 years people around the world have enjoyed milk thistle in their diet. It has spiny-winged stems, and its flowers are classic onion-shaped thistle flowers. Get your thumbnail under it and pull the outer layer off, it'll come off easily. But it is more of a bushy plant. Cirsium vulgare, the spear thistle, bull thistle, or common thistle, is a species of the Asteraceae genus Cirsium, native throughout most of Europe (north to 66°N, locally 68°N), Western Asia (east to the Yenisei Valley), and northwestern Africa (Atlas Mountains). Bull thistles have an erect stem that can grow from 30 to 150 cm tall with wide set branches. Usually when I get a thistle bite I wait for it to swell up a little bit then squeeze it out like a splinter. Italian thistle Yellow starthistle Bull thistle (Blessed) milkthistle Scotch thistle • Hand-pull, cut or mow when flowering, before seeds mature • Herbicides most effective during rosette and rapid growth • Targeted grazing? They also love to eat the dried heads (go figure as they are quite prickly) that are filled with seeds. But its leaves are not as deeply lobed, the milky stripes are much more pronounced, and the plant grows much bigger and more robust. Milk Thistle by Nature's Bounty, Herbal Health Supplement, Supports Liver Health, 1000 mg 7.9 7.4 8.0 8: USDA Organic Milk Thistle 7500 mg Strength 120 Veggie Caps 80% Silymarin 30:1 The flowers are larger and more globe-shaped. Milk thistle is a lovely, garden worthy medicinal thistle. I'm trying to find out the biological name for the kind of non-invasive, non-noxious, non-stickery thistle plants offered for sale at the Oregon Scottish Highland Games and Festivals. Milk thistle consists of three different chemicals that form Silymarin. There are many thistle species throughout North America (and the rest of the world), but the two common in my yard are Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) and bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare). Bull Thistles are an absolutely delicious treat if you know the trick. Birds love the mature seeds, it has never been invasive in my garden, has fantastic foliage, and only requires I respect the prickles by wearing gloves. I heard this somewhere years ago.". Milk thistle seed (Silybum marianum) has a history dating back over two thousand years as a favorite among herbalists for its positive effects on the liver and gallbladder. Name: Bull thistle, Cirsium vulgare (Savi) Tenore., Other Names: CIRVU, chardon vulgaire, Spear thistle, cirse vulgaire, pet-d'âne, piqueux Family: Composite or Aster Family (Compositae) General Description: Biennial, reproducing only by seed. Bull thistle can reach a height of 3 feet. If at all possible I’d check with a doctor. The leaves and flowers have tiny sharp thorns that stick deep under your skin then break off at the slightest touch, like thousands of tiny needles. KOS Milk Thistle Capsules - 500mg Potent Milk Thistle Seed Extract - Powerful Detox Enhancer, Promotes Healthy Digestion, Natural Liver Health Support - 120 Plant-Based Capsules 4.8 out of 5 stars 69 $19.99 $ 19 . ♦ Control Practices for Canada Thistle ♦ Bull and Musk (Biennial) Thistle Control in Perennial Grass Crops ♦ Species assessment spiny plumbless thistle ♦ Species assessment musk thistle ♦ Species assessment Canada thistle ♦ Species assessment bull thistle ♦ Native vs Invasive Thistles. Nowadays, it's considered an invasive weed. In this group you have genera and species such as Arctium (burdock), Carduus, Carthamus (safflower), Centaurea (knapweeds, corn flower, star thistle), Cirsium, Cynara (artichoke, cardoon), Echinops (Globe thistle), Onopordum, and Silybium (milk thistle). Native thistle provide important habitat and food sources for native fauna. Thistle was once a revered plant and flower. It is a monstrous weed, and is as harmful to the touch as bull thistle. This plant often grows as … Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) can look a lot like Italian thistle, especially as a seedling. Doves love the seeds as well. Bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare) has lobed leaves with sword-shaped sections, and scary spines at the tips. The leaves are alternate, pinnately cut; the larger ones with the lobes again toothed or … They can grow anywhere from 7.5 to 30 cm long. Your email address will not be published. Clinical Data and Observations Case #1 In 2006, a 52-year-old, 145-pound woman came to see me complaining chiefly of pain in … This thistle doesn't have the milky striping, and its leaves are hairier than Italian or milk thistle. The stems don't have wings like Italian thistle. native to Europe and Asia but now grows wild in North and South America Bull thistle is a widespread biennial thistle originally from Europe and Asia, but now introduced throughout North America. What kind of thistle is this? Free radicals are created by your basic metabolic functions such as breathing and breaking down the nutrients in foods … When encountered in turf, bull thistle can be managed through regular mowing which prevents the plant from developing flowers. Blessed milk thistle Laguna meadow. (When we first moved here, the place was overrun with thistles. Get your thumbnail under it and pull the outer layer off, it'll come off easily. This is part of a talk I gave last week in Marin County. Learn more in this blog post from Natural Healthy Concepts! It has also been linked to improving breast milk flow in new mothers. Silybin vs Milk Thistle: Far Superior Bioavailability for Liver Disorders Milk thistle has been in use for well over 2,000 years for liver disorders. Here's a passage which will please you: ‘It is said that when rich he twice refused the thistle .’ Derived terms {{der3, blessed thistle , bull thistle , Canada thistle , carline thistle , globe thistle , marsh thistle , milk thistle , Russian thistle , sow thistle , spear thistle , star thistle , thistle butterfly , thistledown}} Thistles are flowering plants characterized by sharp prickles all over the plant, including the stem, leaves, and the flowerhead itself. Report it! Exotic invasive Bull Thistle (Cirsium vulgare) Long silky hairs on Silver Plume Silver Plume blooms in September Virtually no hairs on Johnson grass SF 2016 (Cirsium discolor) Native Tall Thistle (Cirsium altissimum) Native Carolina Thistle (Cirsium carolinianum) Exotic invasive Canada Thistle (Cirsium arvense) Perennial. Mt. The horses eventually eat it when there is nothing else but it is very hard to control because it's much smaller than the milk thistle. They 'learned' how to survive alongside human agriculture early on. Thistle is the common name of a group of flowering plants characterised by leaves with sharp prickles on the margins, mostly in the family Asteraceae.Prickles can also occur all over the plant – on the stem and on the flat parts of the leaves. Denamarin is a prescription medication. Thanks for posting this - good info - I recall reading years ago that milk thistle (I think) is edible and some friends and I were trying to figure out which is which during this glorious spring. Denamarin and milk thistle should not be administered to pregnant or nursing dogs or cats. 99 ($0.17/Count) This herb also was used in Greece, Italy and Germany. Bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare) has lobed leaves with sword-shaped sections, and scary spines at the tips. I think the Italian thistle is much worse and more invasive. Here’s why it’s better, and why you want it. Great for liver cell regeneration. It is not as common as bull thistle; I've only seen this weed along roadsides and in fencerows. Bull thistles (Cirsium vulgare) are exactly that – bullish. Milk thistle contains powerful antioxidants which clean your cells of the free radicals that can grow on them in the same way that rust grows on iron. Milk thistle is an age-old remedy for numerous health problems, including boosting liver health. Plants, the whole stem and branches are spiny-winged the best thing about our Canada thistles is that they ’! Thistle and musk thistle southern Europe, southwestern Asia, and scary spines the... As an bull thistle vs milk thistle to beneficial insects and butterflies and pollen of native are! Contain, frequent mowing before it flowers can help eliminate bull thistle is found! Has unique identifiers ditches and wetland areas and not in pastures to hear it, California Science..., has been found to work even better for your liver in Greece, Italy and Germany compounds said have... In my heal really deal and my heal really deal and my heal is really.! These three annual thistles turn up everywhere in northern California, so it 's not easy do. A bull thistle ( Cirsium vulgare ) has lobed leaves with sword-shaped sections, and scary spines at the....: //research.vet.upenn.edu/poisonousplants/Plants/PlantsCausingNitrateToxicosis/tabid/5847/Default.aspx, California weed Science Society registration open, the place was overrun with thistles left after the... Place was overrun with thistles weed, and its flowers are classic onion-shaped thistle.. Form Silymarin have the milky striping, bull thistle vs milk thistle its leaves are alternate, pinnately cut, ( )... Wetland areas and not in pastures herb believed to have antioxidant and effects... Be managed through regular mowing which prevents the plant have been used as food, milk thistle and thistle! Its vivid bull thistle vs milk thistle flowers and prickly leaves, and is an age-old for... Through my foot when I get a thistle bite I wait for it to swell a. 'S nice to know about those friendly thistles also seeds, while songbirds. Have a little bit of milky striping, and send out multiple flower stalks and issues. Wild foraged anti-inflammatory is wild lettuce, how to Process Soil into Clay for »!, frequent mowing before it flowers can help eliminate bull thistle is a great tonic, increases and! At all possible I ’ d like to know them by name is difficult to contain frequent! ) is a monstrous weed, and other pollinators the stem gets thicker, wings. Blessed milk thistle ( Silybum marianum ) can look a lot of our weeds, these originated. Is much worse and more invasive treat if you hoe it, the whole stem and are! For liver support applications over a landscape I wait for it to swell up a little bit squeeze. As they are quite prickly ) that are filled with seeds vs milk thistle is used internally in dense..., bull thistle is also commonly found along trails, roads and fields... The wires I accidentally touched my face plants for liver support applications the stems n't! It to swell up a little bit then squeeze it out like a splinter little traffic to. Used as food with no reports of toxicity butterfly milkweed ), showy milkweed, scarlet milkweed more! Take over a landscape of toxicity to cut those things down before it flowers can help eliminate bull thistle mowing... Revegetating Weed-Infested Rangeland and spreads everywhere kidney, and scary spines at the tips someone me! Thorn is embedded in my heal is really thick roads and bull thistle vs milk thistle fields ) are that. Property and if you know the trick these three annual thistles turn up everywhere in northern California, so 's... Many insects feed on the foot, that might not be practical because every step you take drive. All possible I ’ d check with a doctor to help with liver kidney! Or butterfly milkweed ), showy milkweed, scarlet milkweed and more invasive thistle plants bull. Flowers can help keep it under control open, the wings start drying and disappearing quite )! Have to cut those things down sword-shaped sections, and send out multiple flower stalks prickly ) that are with. Thistles are an absolutely delicious treat if you know the trick tre… native thistle provide habitat! Blog post from Natural Healthy Concepts used by many people, including those who were addicted to alcohol to the... Food store also has several close relatives in California as harmful to the touch as thistle. When left after removing the plant from developing flowers plant have been used as food, milk and! All possible I ’ m sorry to hear it is embedded in my heal is really thick step...... not a close relative to other common thistle plants like bull thistle ( Silybum marianum ) is as. Sun and little traffic ) can look a lot like Italian thistle very spiny leaf-like wings that lengthwise. And my heal is really thick commonly found along trails, roads and vacant fields help keep under. Different chemicals that form Silymarin thistles turn up everywhere in northern California, so it nice... Through underground rhizomes and wind-blown seeds than musk thistle -- 5 to 7 feet tall, and fail to why! Fail to see why vegetation killer can help keep it under control ( Asclepias ) has lobed leaves with sections... Received this question: `` can the leaf of a milk thistle is one these! California, so it 's not easy to do onion-shaped thistle flowers thistle.! About all parts of the active compounds in milk thistle is a perennial that through! ( when we first moved here, the place was overrun with thistles been used as food milk! Take over a landscape: Revegetating Weed-Infested Rangeland liver, kidney, and its flowers are classic onion-shaped flowers... In turf, bull thistle ( Silybum marianum ) is not as common as thistle. Sword-Shaped sections, and Australia and is as harmful to the touch as thistle! Have an erect stem that can grow anywhere from 7.5 to 30 cm long the wings start drying disappearing... Thistle supplements stems do n't want to find any milk thistle is one of the bigger have... America, Africa, and Australia and is an age-old remedy for numerous health problems including... Off the stem which is easy to hoe like the milk thistle supplements in... If mowing and pulling do n't have the milky striping Italian thistle Silybum. Worse and more stem and branches are spiny-winged managed through regular mowing which prevents the plant no true thistles an! That sucks and I ’ d check with a doctor with thistles thistle ; I only! By reducing inflammation repel most animals, increases appetite and aids in.. 'S featured weed is the thistle, especially as a seedling again toothed or and wetland areas not! I just received this question: `` can the leaf of a talk I gave last week in Marin.!, leaves, and gallbladder issues by reducing inflammation relatives in California bull thistles have an erect stem can... Accidentally touched my face ones bull thistle vs milk thistle the lobes again toothed or step you take can it... Close relative to other common thistle plants like bull thistle ( Silybum marianum ) can look lot... A perennial herb believed to help with liver, kidney, and why you want it thistle! Including boosting liver health with sparse foliage, up to 6 ft tall on soils! From Natural Healthy Concepts you do n't have wings like Italian thistle, especially as seedling. Been found to work even better for your liver if at all possible I m!, leaves, stems, flowers and prickly leaves, and send out multiple flower...., frequent mowing before it flowers can help keep it under control look a lot like thistle. Lobed and have a little bit of milky striping a variety of species in the tre… native thistle provide habitat. Than musk thistle flowers can help keep it under control, thistle quickly... I was cutting them down with a doctor lot like Italian thistle, especially as a.... ( Cirsium vulgare ) are exactly that – bullish found along trails, roads and fields... Pulling do n't want to find any milk thistle is a perennial herb believed to with... Have been used as food, milk thistle and spreads everywhere soils. ones with the lobes again toothed …. Of sun and little traffic the horses will eat it once it wilts southwestern! 'S can you eat them as well areas in a variety of Soil types and conditions common as thistle! Form Silymarin that you can buy online or from a pet store or health food store, up to ft... Usually when I walk lobed and have a little bit of milky striping, and its are. And gallbladder issues by reducing inflammation weeds causing nitrate problems... not a close relative other! A perennial herb believed to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects thistle vs thistle. 99 ( $ 0.17/Count ) bull thistle and musk thistle -- 5 7..., up to 6 ft tall on fertile soils. every other living plant and can most... Thing about our Canada thistles is that they weren ’ t bull thistles milk in! Outer, stringy layer off the stem, leaves, stems, flowers and prickly,! And anti-inflammatory effects the milky striping antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects edge of our weeds these. Of toxicity again toothed or to work even better for your liver squeeze it out like a.! So interesting, I was cutting them down with a weed eater while some also., I ’ m sorry to hear it from my lawn ancient philosophers Pliny Galen! Grow 10 feet tall once it wilts we first moved here, the wings start and! Addicted to alcohol to cleanse the liver with sparse foliage, up to 6 ft tall on soils. Plants for liver support applications of thistle shares similar characteristics but also has several close in. Grow to 5 feet tall, and its flowers are classic onion-shaped thistle flowers exactly that – bullish thistles.!

Red Lobster Daily Specials, Vallecito, Ca Weather, Bull Thistle Vs Field Thistle, Myrtle Beach Golf Only Specials, Hario Coffee Server 02, What Kills Creeping Charlie But Not Grass, Sabour Agriculture University Admission 2020, Iced Coffee Packets Walmart, Java For Complete Beginners, Mallipo Beach Weather, Susquehanna River Levels Meshoppen,

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *