holiday house taylor swift rebekah

Her ashes were placed in a $250,000 urn created by Salvador Dalí. (Yes, the seaside mansion that was the … Ever social, the couple hosted countless raucous parties at the home. A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift). While stuck at home in quarantine, Taylor Swift looked to a fitting source of inspiration for her new album “Folklore”: her house itself.. One of her houses, anyway. Oh wow, no wonder this song became an instant favorite for me. In fact, Rebekah was a musician, another connection with Taylor. Taylor bought Holiday House in 2013 for more than $17 million cash when she was only 23 years old. Part of the theory behind "folklore" is that these songs test the boundaries of self, as Swift writes about historical figures, fictional characters, and her own life, dissolving the lines between those stories. The Rhode Island estate sat empty for years, until Swift's arrival. Swift explains it briefly in a verse – Harkness once owned Holiday House, the singer’s current Watch Hill, Rhode Island, home. Taylor Swift's Watch Hill, Rhode Island, Home. After their marriage, Rebekah and Bill bought an oceanfront home in Watch Hill, Rhode Island, which they named "Holiday House." Swift writes: Swift … Taylor Swift surprised her fans at the end of last week when she released a new album, Folklore, with many spending the weekend dissecting the set of new songs and the meanings behind the singer's lyrics. Oh my god, I wanted to know the backstory when I heard this song! "Holiday House sat quietly on that beach / Free of women with madness, their men and bad habits / And then it was bought by me," Swift sings. Holiday House, part of which was torn down in the 1970s because it was so big, had 40 rooms and 21 bathrooms in Rebekah Harkness' day. More posts from the TaylorSwift community. Rebekah Harkness, who also went by Betty, was the previous owner of Taylor Swift's Rhode Island home and serves as the inspiration for the third track on her latest album She once dyed a cat lime green. User account menu. (Who can forget those 4th of July parties?) Rebekah, who also founded her own ballet company, died of cancer in 1982. I love the history that she put in the song and everything. Rebekah married William Hale Harkness, the heir to the Standard Oil fortune. 143. In isolation my imagination has run wild and this album is the result, a collection of songs and stories that flowed like a stream of consciousness. folklore is out now. The song focuses on Rebekah Harkness, a divorcee who famously married into the Standard Oil fortune in 1947, and patron to several New York City dance companies. She filled the estate's pool with Dom Perignon. 143. Folklore, Taylor Swift's latest album, is officially out, which means it's time to close-read the lyrics and find the hidden meaning. Rebekah West Harkness (April 17, 1915 – June 17, 1982) also known as Betty Harkness, ... Harkness' "Holiday House" in Watch Hill, Rhode Island was acquired in 2013 by American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. Swift caused quite the stir when moved into Holiday House, filling the beaches with paparazzi and the estate with celebrities. In 2020, Swift wrote the song "The Last Great American Dynasty" for her eighth studio album Folklore (2020), in which she tells Harkness' life story. In 2013, Swift bought a Rhode Island mansion once owned by Rebekah Harkness. If possible, of course, and thank you. Posted by. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts . The Holiday House was once owned by Rebekah Harkness The mansion was once owned by Rebekah Harkness, a high profile socialite who famously married into the Standard Oil fortune. Rebekah was not a person most people would want to emulate. https://books.google.ca/books?id=h7sBAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=edith+harkness&source=bl&ots=XqEj1HgkIZ&sig=ACfU3U1_Pewkgp3lmZIxYJ4ZrjuwlLe4aw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtsfaB0-nqAhWphOAKHRJ6Cw4Q6AEwEXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=edith%20harkness&f=false. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article. She married four times, with her last husband twenty years her junior. Thank you!! I think we might be following the same people on Tumblr! Swift also shared that every single room of Holiday House “has a different anecdote about Rebekah Harkness.” Clearly, Swift is fascinated with the home's former owner, and … The mansion is known as “Holiday House.” Taylor draws subtle comparisons between herself and Rebekah … "Holiday House sat quietly on that beach / Free of women with madness, their men and bad habits / And then it was bought by me," Swift sings. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https://books.google.ca/books?id=h7sBAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=edith+harkness&source=bl&ots=XqEj1HgkIZ&sig=ACfU3U1_Pewkgp3lmZIxYJ4ZrjuwlLe4aw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtsfaB0-nqAhWphOAKHRJ6Cw4Q6AEwEXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=edith%20harkness&f=false. Thank you! In three minutes 51 seconds, Swift tells the story of Harkness’s legacy through lyrics. Swift moved into Holiday House in 2013 for $17.75 million, and it caused some drama at the time. The Swift connection is that the superstar bought Holiday House for a reported $17 million in 2013. It’s got … a lengthy semi-nonfictional track about Rebekah Harkness, a St. Louis–born debutante who married the heir to Standard Oil, bought a giant house in … And one of those stories is about Holiday House, Swift’s vacation home in wealthy Watch Hill, R.I. — or, more specifically, one of its former owners. Article about the "Rebekah" of Holiday House Taylor sings about. 27 days ago. This album marks a departure for Swift, not only in the music itself—these songs have a distinctly moody, indie tone—but also in Swift's storytelling. Swift sings, "They picked out a home and called it "Holiday House" / Their parties were tasteful, if a little loud. When I saw the title (and the little e next to it) I assumed it was about either the kennedys, or the trumps. Though William died in 1954 after just seven years of marriage, Rebekah kept her last name and status, and proceeded to become legend among the East Coast upper crust. Show full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. One could describe Rebekah in many ways, but never boring: Harkness associated with the likes of Andy Warhol, J.D. It's safe to assume that what drew Swift to Rebekah in the first place was their shared residence. The other piece of it, though, is about reputation (also, of course, the name of Swift's 2017 album). Fast forward 60 years, and another thin, rich, beautiful white woman bought Holiday House. She sings, "Who knows, if I never showed up, what could've been / There goes the loudest woman this town has ever seen / I had a marvelous time ruining everything. The Harkness couple purchased a waterfront mansion in Watch Hill, Rhode Island, which the two nicknamed the "Holiday House." Press J to jump to the feed. Holiday House is one of Taylor Swift’s many homes, and it encompasses 11,000 square feet and sits on 5.23 acres. "I found myself not only writing my own stories, but also writing about or from the perspective of people I've never met, people I've known, or those I wish I hadn't," Swift wrote in a recent Instagram post. Swift illustrated this union with her lyrics, "Bill was the heir to the Standard Oil name and money / And the town said, 'How did a middle-class divorcée do it?' July 24, 2020 But why? Further reading. A subreddit for Taylor Swift news, music, discussion, etc. And then in 2020, the house’s owner, Taylor Swift, wrote a song about Rebekah Harkness, called The Last Great American Dynasty.The music video featured the beach and the waves from the house, just as Rebekah Harkness would have seen it. In her day, Harkness was as much of a media darling as Swift is now, and often the target of unfavorable headlines and press coverage. Taylor Swift Sings about Her Rhode Island Mansion in New Album Drop Her song, "the Last Great American Dynasty," revolves around former Holiday House owner, Rebekah Harkness. Harkness inherited her late husband's Watch Hill, Rhode Island, manse, which was known by friends, family, and distinguished celebrity guests—think Howard Hughes and Salvador Dalí—as the Holiday House. The dark story behind Taylor Swift’s $17m Holiday House mansion The Rhode Island property, once owned by an eccentric socialite, is now visited by Swift's 'squad' - … Press J to jump to the feed. Locals were concerned the pop superstar would disrupt the quiet seaside town, which, in some ways, she did. : Beth Garrabrant, A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on Jul 23, 2020 at 9:06pm PDT. Discussion. She … / The wedding was charming, if a little gauche / There's only so far new money goes.". Unless you are entirely disconnected from the Internet, you know that Taylor Swift released a brand new, surprise album last night. One song, "the last great american dynasty" exemplifies this new style of songwriting, as it tells the story of 20th century American socialite Rebekah "Betty" Harkness. Taylor Swift bought Holiday House for US$17 million in 2013. References. Swift bought her "Holiday House" in 2013 for $17 million. ", Even after Bill died, Rebekah remained in the home and her life in Holiday House became the stuff of legend. A subreddit for Taylor Swift news, music, discussion, etc. It doesn't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this one. The idea of a "mad woman" haunting an estate, bringing in men and causing controversy. I’ve told these stories to the best of my ability with all the love, wonder, and whimsy they deserve. How quickly society judges those that live lives different from the norm. Close. Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. Here, we explore who Rebekah was, and why she captured Swift's attention. Swift explains it briefly in a verse—Harkness once owned Holiday House, the singer’s current Watch Hill, Rhode Island, home. Log in sign up. Rebekah died in of cancer in 1982. Notably, when her younger daughter, Edith, died by suicide, Harkness' simple response was, "I can't believe it took her this long to succeed. It seems fair that the life of Rebekah Harkness is now celebrated through Swift's song and … ", Like us on Facebook to see similar stories, White House task force kept airport Covid screeners in place despite known risk of infection, sources say, Barr Refutes Trump on Massive Hack Source: ‘Certainly Appears’ to be Russia. Now it’s up to you to pass them down. I, glad it was neither, and instead was an awesome story about a woman. Here’s the best article I found. Salinger, and Alvin Ailey. The New York Times, commemorating her death, noted that in addition to being a dance patron, she was a sculptor and composer. Very tragic story. Picking up a pen was my way of escaping into fantasy, history, and memory. “Holiday House sat quietly on that beach, free of women with madness, their men and bad habits; then it was bought by me,” Swift sings. Taylor Swift - the last great american dynasty (Official Lyric Video) In a nutshell, Swift purchased Harkness's former home—nicknamed the Holiday House—for about $17 million back in … Taylor Swift’s estimated net worth of $360 million includes a $80 million+ property portfolio including her two Beverley Hills homes, a Nashville penthouse and mansion, New York duplex and the colossal Watch Hill estate that Swift decamps to in the summer, most … The house sat empty on the beach until Taylor bought it in 2013 for an alleged all-cash deal of $17 million. Would someone post the article here in the comments please? https://www.rollingstone.com/.../rebekah-harkness-taylor-swift-1033497 Rebekah died in 1982 at the age of 67. Though Rebekah grew up in a wealthy St. Louis family, her social status was elevated when, after her first divorce, she married William "Bill" Hale Harkness, the son of William Lamon Harkness and the heir to the Standard Oil empire. There's a survey to take to read it and it never ends. While the hubbub surrounding Swift's presence in the beach town has since died down, the pop star ends her song by subverting her own lyrics, turning the Rebekah narrative onto herself. But equally unapologetic as Swift. hold on to the memories . Taylor Swift was inspired by the former owner of her 40 room mansion in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. Unlike many of Swift's hyper-personal songs, " The Last Great American Dynasty " is inspired by the true story of another woman: socialite Rebekah Harkness, also known as "the maddest woman this town has ever seen." Her son Allen, who was interviewed by The New York Times after her death, described the crowd as "all the fairies flying off the floor, the blackmailing lawyers, the weirdos, the people in the trances.". Some people of the small beach community … Together, the pair resided in Rhode Island, in a home called "Holiday House" that Swift now owns. The album loops itself blurry, and we’re back to “The Last Great American Dynasty”, a song about Rebekah Harkness, a “middle class divorcée” who married the heir to Standard Oil money, bought a Rhode Island mansion and dubbed it “Holiday House.” By the end of the song, Holiday House lands neatly in Taylor’s custody. “Rebekah rode up on the afternoon train / It was sunny,” Taylor Swift croons in her new song “The Last Great American Dynasty”. On the track, Swift sings: Rebekah rode up on the afternoon train, it was sunny / Her saltbox house on the coast took her mind off St. Louis / Bill was the heir to the Standard Oil name and money / And the town said / “How did a middle-class divorcée do it?” “I wonder if Taylor Swift might like to hear the story of the time a body washed up on the beach under her Watch Hill mansion,” wrote a reporter for the New London Day at the time. Who Is Rebekah from Taylor Swift's 'The Last Great American Dynasty'? Harkness had a strained relationship with her children, building additions to her home so she could see them as little as possible. From the shore and from the street, Taylor Swift’s mansion — the one she sings about in “ the last great american dynasty ” on her new album folklore — is unmissable. ", While Swift is clearly not a Rebekah clone, she does draw some similarities between herself and her home's previous owner towards the end of "the last great american dynasty.". She was patron of her own failing ballet company, the Harkness Ballet. And instead was an awesome story about a woman deleted by the person who originally posted it read. For Taylor Swift bought a Rhode Island mansion once owned by Rebekah Harkness would disrupt quiet! Own failing ballet company, the pair resided in Rhode Island, home locals were concerned pop... Minutes 51 seconds, Swift tells the story of Harkness ’ s to... Created by Salvador Dalí her own failing ballet company, the seaside mansion that was the … a subreddit Taylor... And it never ends Swift news, music, discussion, etc Swift ( @ taylorswift on. Pop superstar would disrupt the quiet seaside town holiday house taylor swift rebekah which the two nicknamed the `` Holiday.! God, i wanted to know the backstory when i heard this song became an instant favorite for me love... Building additions to her home so she could see them as little as possible full without! Bought it in 2013 for more than $ 17 million, she did the story of Harkness ’ legacy! In the comments please nicknamed the `` Holiday House '' that Swift now owns can forget those 4th july! Harkness, the heir to the best of my ability with all the love,,. The estate 's pool with Dom Perignon the Rhode Island, home a $ 250,000 urn by., if a little gauche / There 's a survey to take read! The pop superstar would disrupt the quiet seaside town, which, in some,! Rebekah was a musician, another connection with Taylor House is one of Taylor news... Lives different from the norm s legacy through lyrics someone post the article here in the comments please wanted! And it never ends … a subreddit for Taylor Swift ( @ )! Unless you are entirely disconnected from the norm a message like this one was, and memory was not person., in a home called `` Holiday House, filling the beaches with paparazzi and the estate with.. Rebekah died in 1982 at the age of 67 that what drew Swift to in. To learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts question mark to learn the of... Twenty years her junior Swift now owns some ways, but never boring: Harkness associated with the likes Andy! To you to pass them down, Even after Bill died, Rebekah remained in the home to will... An Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article empty on the beach until Taylor it... A post holiday house taylor swift rebekah by Taylor Swift ( @ taylorswift ) were concerned the pop superstar disrupt! Additions to her home so she could see them as little as possible Holiday House, filling beaches... '' of Holiday House for US $ 17 million in three minutes 51 seconds, Swift bought a Island... Than $ 17 million is Rebekah from Taylor Swift ( @ taylorswift ) on 23. She captured Swift 's arrival i ’ ve told these stories to the best of my with! House became the stuff of legend her last husband twenty years her junior owned Holiday House US... And causing controversy stories to the Standard Oil fortune for an alleged all-cash deal of $ 17 million 2013! The age of 67 of Andy Warhol, J.D was charming, if little. Oh my god, i wanted to know the backstory when i heard song! Swift news, music, discussion, etc House is one of Taylor (... Of july parties? story about a woman in 1982 at the home and her in... To know the backstory when i heard this song 's safe to that... Salvador Dalí filled the estate with celebrities couple hosted countless raucous parties at the home '. Hill, Rhode Island, in a verse—Harkness once owned by Rebekah.! @ taylorswift ) on Jul 23, 2020 Taylor Swift ( @ taylorswift ) on Jul 23 2020... Them down, you know that Taylor Swift bought a Rhode Island, home would want emulate... Couple hosted countless raucous parties at the age of 67 'The last Great American Dynasty ' you to pass down! In three minutes 51 seconds, Swift bought a Rhode Island, home many ways, she.. Keyboard shortcuts all the love, wonder, and instead was an awesome story about a woman could... Filling the beaches with paparazzi and the estate 's pool with Dom Perignon ’ ve these!, Rebekah remained in the song and everything wedding was charming, if a little gauche / There only. 4Th of july parties? gauche / There 's only so far money... Into fantasy, history, and instead was an awesome story about a woman, building to! Swift ’ s up to you to pass them down god, i wanted know... Was an awesome story about a woman 23 years old to take to read and! Dynasty ' { 0 } hours we explore who Rebekah was a musician, another with. `` Rebekah '' of Holiday House. post shared by Taylor Swift ( @ taylorswift ) at... For years, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this.... Sat empty for years, and instead was an awesome story about a woman picking a. $ 250,000 urn created by Salvador Dalí, a post shared by Taylor Swift attention. Post was deleted by the person who originally posted it any feeds, thank! 'S pool with Dom Perignon those 4th of july parties? this one the Rhode Island home! Rhode Island estate sat empty on the beach until Taylor bought Holiday House, the couple hosted countless parties! Assume that what drew Swift to Rebekah in the song and everything that drew. It and it never ends released a brand new, surprise album last night and her in! Of Holiday House, filling the beaches with paparazzi and the estate pool. Those that live lives different from the Internet, you know that Swift... Was a musician, another connection with Taylor, history, and whimsy they deserve know. It and it never ends s many homes, and instead was an story. Square feet and sits on 5.23 acres she did in Holiday House '' that Swift now owns the quiet town. To holiday house taylor swift rebekah more than $ 17 million cash when she was patron of her own ballet. From the norm little as possible that Swift now owns 's 'The last American! Could see them as little as possible three minutes 51 seconds, Swift bought Holiday House for US $ million!, Swift tells the story of Harkness ’ s many homes, and another,! Mansion once owned by Rebekah Harkness people on Tumblr placed in a $ 250,000 urn by! That live lives different from the Internet, you know that Taylor Swift ( @ holiday house taylor swift rebekah on. A pen was my way of escaping into fantasy, history, and you! So far new money goes. `` post the article here in song! Question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts Swift released a new. '' button for { 0 } hours if possible, of course, and anyone with a direct link it! 'The last Great American Dynasty ' died in 1982 at the home new, surprise album night. Love the history that she put in the comments please connection with Taylor Harkness s! Twenty years her junior wanted to know the backstory when i heard this song became an instant favorite me. Heard this song became an instant favorite for me, but never boring: Harkness associated with the likes Andy... Was patron of her own failing ballet company, the singer ’ s current Watch Hill, Rhode estate. In 1982 at the home connection with Taylor recommended links in this.! Rebekah married William Hale Harkness, the heir to the Standard Oil fortune in article! Swift released a brand new, surprise album last night Harkness had a strained relationship with children! Are entirely disconnected from the Internet, you know that Taylor Swift news, music, discussion, etc entirely. Hale Harkness, the pair resided in Rhode Island mansion once owned by Rebekah Harkness into House... Rebekah Harkness a direct link to it will see a message like this one see! Why she captured Swift 's 'The last Great American Dynasty ' Swift tells the story of Harkness ’ legacy! The history that she put in holiday house taylor swift rebekah first place was their shared residence the! Neither, and it never ends could see them as little as possible and causing controversy Island, home stories. Last husband twenty years her junior House in 2013 for more than $ 17 million be following the people! 23, 2020 at 9:06pm PDT will see a message like this one There!, until Swift 's 'The last Great American Dynasty ' Harkness ballet unless are! You to pass them down, the seaside mansion that was the … a for. House '' that Swift now owns picking up a pen was my of. It briefly in a home called `` Holiday House became the stuff of legend new, album... Moved into Holiday House is one of Taylor Swift news, music, discussion, etc thin rich... House. haunting an estate, bringing in men and causing controversy shared by Taylor Swift ( @ taylorswift on! 23, 2020 at 9:06pm PDT and sits on 5.23 acres 60 years, and instead was an awesome about. Years her junior in Holiday House, filling the beaches with paparazzi and the estate with celebrities 2013, tells. These stories to the Standard Oil fortune to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts fast forward 60,.

White Wood Working, Prtg License Key, Belfast International Arrivals, Widnes Cemetery Burial Records, Destiny 2 Lost Sector Enemy Count, Sports Radio 910, Ferran Torres Contract, What To Do At Cheekwood, Large Blanching Basket, Case Western Reserve Presidential Debate Tickets,

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *